Animals. They’re funny, unique, and intelligent creatures. How else would we get through our days with out watching at least 3 cat videos? Below are 5 darn good reasons why you should consider adopting a furry, feathered, or scaly friend ASAP.
- You’ll be a hero (sans cape). Think about it. You’re saving a life. According to the ASPCA, 2.7 million animals are euthanized in shelters each year. That’s a scary statistic. You can be your dog, cat, rabbit, bird—or any other animal that fits your style’s—own personal hero. (source: http://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/pet-statistics)
- They’re natural anti-depressants! Having an animal companion around can improve ones mood greatly and reduce stress. If you own a dog you’ll be greeted at the door everyday, get a lot more exercise, and laugh about 10 times more than usual at the crazy things they do. Also, pets need to be handled, fed, and loved a lot, so you won’t have time to sit and stew in a negative place. You’ll have better things to do—like cuddle!
- Pets can sense danger. A dog’s bark can easily alert their owner that danger is near. But did you know other types of animals can provide a sense of protection to their owners? A few examples: a parrot in Florida squawked and flapped so loudly that the family woke up before fire detectors went off, and they escaped a fire. A dog in New Jersey, with a spinal condition, pulled himself up the stairs and alerted his sleeping family about a fire (Who’s crying? I’m not crying!) A pet snake in China alerted his sleeping owner of a fire by grabbing the owner’s clothes with his teeth and whipping the bed with his tail. These are just some of many amazing ways on how animals can provide astounding protection to their home and owners. (source: http://www.lifespan.com/7-reasons-get-pet/2/)
- You can become more compassionate. Owning a pet who depends on you for survival, good health, and happiness, can definitely cause you to become a more compassionate person. Many people have limited their intake of meat (some have even gone full vegetarian or vegan) because the thought of loving animals being harmed and tortured saddens them. (source: http://www.lifespan.com/7-reasons-get-pet/2/)
- You have a built-in best friend. Who needs girls’ nights or a night out with the guys when you have Fido staring at you with his big puppy dog eyes?! (Just kidding, girls’ and guys’ nights out are important! Hello, wine and beer!) Who greets you excitedly at the door? Who smothers you with wet, sloppy kisses? Who can’t judge you and loves you for who you are? Your pet.
Five reasons not enough? Go visit your local animal shelter and play with some animals who are in dire need of love, affection, and attention. You might not leave alone!